Retaining UGC for Aperol Spiritz
Didgeroo has partnered with PR Week’s “Agency of the Year”, W-Communications, to design and build a social hub for their Aperol Spritz summer marketing campaign.
On this occasion Didgeroo provided web design services in addition to our usual consultation, build and support services.
Our in-house designer, Åsa Elmehed, worked closely with W Communications to create a set of responsive design visuals based upon their upcoming summer marketing campaign.
In recent years there has been increased marketing spend directed towards encouraging user generated content (UGC) to promote brands. In this case, W Communications have planned a number of invitation-only social events over the summer months including screen-printing workshops and cooking masterclasses, all themed around the Aperol Spritz product.
At these events, UGC such as selfies enjoying Aperol, is posted online and hopefully viewed and re-shared many times. However after these events UGC is gradually lost, as it ages in peoples social news feeds.
A key object of this project was to ensure UCG is not lost forever and instead aggregated into a “Social Wall”. For this we teamed up with #hashtag’d – and an online social aggregation tool that integrates with Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to create the #ItStartNow page.
Some other standout features of this project included:
- An “age gate” popup to verify visitors are over 18.
- Event listings for Aperol Spritz Socials and Aperol promotional offers.
- Event registration linked to Mailchimp lists. This allows W Communications to easily contact all people who registered their interest in attending any of the Spritz Social events.
- A Bar Finder using the Google Maps API. We parsed and imported a database of 3000+ locations serving Aperol in the UK and display this in a searchable and filterable Google Map.
- Bar Finder locations are automatically linked to events and promotions.
- A custom social sharing feature.
- News, image galleries and recipe videos.
More than 50,000 unique visitors have accessed the new site during the first two weeks since launch. Didgeroo’s Managed Hosting platform together with WordPress’s Photon CDN have proven to be more than capable of handling this volume of traffic.
- Client: W Communications
- Services: Design, Consultation, Build, Hosting & Support